Modeling and Simulation of Systems of Systems
This three-day course is de¬signed for engineers and managers who wish to enhance their capabilities to construct, work with, and/or understand state-of-the-art concepts and tools for modeling and simulation for systems of systems. The course covers the basics of systems concepts and discrete event systems specification (DEVS), a computational basis for system theory. It demonstrates the application of DEVS to “virtual build and test” of engineered systems of systems, the increasingly adopted alternative to complex systems development. Discussion of DEVS-Compliant; environments will provide examples of state-of-the-art agent-based, high-fidelity SoS space-systems simulations. Students will gain access to modeling and simulation software that provides hands on experience with integrated development and testing of modern component-based systems.
What you will learn:
- Basic concepts of Discrete Event System Specification (DEVS) and how to apply them using simulation software
- How to understand and simulate systems with both Discrete and Continuous temporal behaviors
- System of Systems Concepts, Interoperability and service orientation, within a modeling and simulation framework
- Integrated System Development and Testing with applications to service oriented architectures
- Concepts and Tools at the cutting edge of the state-of-the-art exemplified by advanced adaptive complex systems environments.
From this course you will obtain the understanding of how to leverage collaborative modeling and simulation to analyze systems of systems problems within an integrated development and testing process.
- Introduction to Discrete Event System Specification (DEVS)–System-Theory Basis and Concepts, Levels of System Specification, System Specifications: Continuous and Discrete
- Framework for Modeling and Simulation— DEVS Simulation Algorithms, DEVS Modeling and Simulation Environments
- DEVS Model Development—Finite Deterministic DEVS –based construction, System Entity Structure – coupling and hierarchical construction, Verification and Visualization, System of Systems examples from the Joint MEASURE™ environment
- DEVS Hybrid Discrete and Continuous Modeling and Simulation— Simulation with DEVSJava/ADEVS Hybrid software, Cyber-Physical System Applications and space systems case-studies
- Interoperability and Reuse— System of Systems Concepts, Levels of Interoperability, Service Oriented Architecture, Distributed Simulation in DEVS, Examples: DEVS/SOA –Web Service Integration, DEVS/DDS – High Performance
- Integrated System Development Testing— DEVS Unified Process – Model Continuity, Automated DEVS-based Test Case Generation, Net-Enabled System Testing – Measures of Performance/Effectiveness
- Cutting Edge Concepts and Tools— System Entity Structure and Pruning, Architecture Design Spaces, Activity Concepts and Measures, Using Activity to Develop Energy Aware Systems, and flexible space systems using Agent-based, market economy principles.
This course is not on the current schedule of open enrollment courses. If you are interested in attending this or another course as open enrollment, please contact us at (410)956-8805 or at firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate the course name and number of students who wish to participate. ATI typically schedules open enrollment courses with a lead time of 3-5 months. Group courses can be presented at your facility at any time.For on-site pricing, request an on-site quote. You may also call us at (410)956-8805 or email us at email@example.com.
Bernard P. Zeigler As chief scientist for RTSync, Zeigler has been chief architect for simulation-based automated testing of net-centric IT systems with DoD’s Joint Interoperability Test Command as well as for automated model composition for the Department of Homeland Security. He is internationally known for his foundational text Theory of Modeling and Simulation, second edition (Academic Press, 2000), He was named Fellow of the IEEE in recognition of his contributions to the theory of discrete event simulation.
Contact these instructors (please mention course name in the subject line)