Environment, Effects, Mitigation|
ATI's Spacecraft Radiation Protection course
- Space Radiation Environment. Trapped protons and electrons. Solar energetic particles. Cosmic rays. Neutrons and gamma
rays from Radioactive Thermoelectric Generators (RTGs).
Secondary neutrons from large space structures. Mars surface
and high altitude Earth enironment.
- Total Dose and Effects. Energy per unit mass. Units--rads, REMs, Grey, Sieverts. Ionization effects. Charge deposition, migration and collection. Effects on digital and analog MOS
and bipolar devices including ELDRS. Annealing, recovery,
- Displacement Damage. Crystalline lattice deformations.
Damage thresholds in silicon and gallium arsenide. Damage
equivalence and NIEL. Effects of protons and neutrons on solar
cells and detectors such as CCDs. Dark current, charge transfer
efficiency, maximum power degradation.
- Single Event Effects. Ionization by primary particles and secondaries from nuclear collisions. Charge collection in small
structures. Effects in digital and analog devices. Transient and
permanent upsets, soft errors, latch-up, burn-out, SEFI. Volatile
and non-volatile memories, micro and signal processors,
DC/DC converters, optoelectronics.
- Testing and Mitigation Techniques. Total dose testing. SEE testing. Facilities. Shielding. Derating. Conservative circuit
design. Systems mitigation. EDAC, latch-up protection
circuitry, watch dog timers, autonomy.
- Human Effects. Long duration exposure in low Earth orbit and interplanetary transport vehicles. Threat of high-energy
neutrons to astronauts. Effects in tissue and organs. Dose
Equivalent and weighting factors. Risk of carcinogenesis, DNA
damage. CNS effects.
This course is not on the current schedule of open enrollment courses. If you are interested in attending this or another course as open enrollment, please contact us at (410) 956-8805 or at email@example.com and indicate the course name and number of students who wish to participate. ATI typically schedules open enrollment courses with a lead time of 3-5 months. Group courses can be presented at your facility at any time. For on-site pricing, request an on-site quote. You may also call us at (410) 956-8805 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.