Applying Better, Faster & Cheaper to Launch Vehicle Missions|
ATI's Reducing Space Launch Cost course
- The Problems and How We Got Here. What if anything is wrong with the
current system? What is the interaction of reliability, availability, and safety on
- What Has Been Done To Solve the Problem and can the Problem be Solved?
Many options such as ALS, NLS, Spacelifter, and NASP have been explored, but
none have borne fruit. How can we avoid making costly mistakes in the future?
Russian methods will be examined.
- Why Are Costs So High? What is it about space transportation operations that
make them so expensive? The concept of learning curve, order quantity,
economics of scale and special handling will be addressed.
- Cost Model Analysis. The uses and abuses of cost models. The TRANSCOST
model will be examined for lessons in economic development and fabrication.
- Using Tools to Determine the Outcome. Strategies, based on Cost Models, for
minimum cost design will continue. Strategies to minimize the life cycle costs will
- Existing Launch Vehicles and Next-Generation Alternatives. The technology
and economically of the existing fleet of domestic and foreign launch vehicles will
be discussed. The economic basis for the next-generation space transportation
vehicles will be examined.
- Expendable and Reusable Launch Vehicle Economics. Key economic and
technical drivers of expendable and reusable launch vehicles are identified.
Strategies for economic implementation are examined.
- The Significance of Performance. What is the significance of engine
performance, propellant density and number of stages?
- The Role of Single Stage to Orbit. What technology is needed for an SSTO?
What do cost models say about SSTO concepts. Are they practical, economical
- Launch Site Operational Economics. What economics are available to make
launch operations less expensive.
- Safety and Reliability Issues. Can launch vehicles be made safer, more reliable
and be more economic at the same time?
- The Space Transportation Market. How does the cost of space transportation
affect overall space mission technology, operations and economics? Evidence of
inelastic demand will be provided.
- The Effects of the Procurement System. The implications of government
procurement in an inelastic market are examined. The rewards and punishment
stimulus will be explored.
- Private Investment, Privatization, and Low-Cost Space Transportation. The
issue of space transportation investment will be covered. How will business be
done differently if private space transportation is to succeed?
This course is not on the current schedule of open enrollment courses. If you are interested in attending this or another course as open enrollment, please contact us at (410) 956-8805 or at email@example.com and indicate the course name and number of students who wish to participate. ATI typically schedules open enrollment courses with a lead time of 3-5 months. Group courses can be presented at your facility at any time. For on-site pricing, request an on-site quote. You may also call us at (410) 956-8805 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.