ATI's Digital Video Systems, Broadcast
and Operations course
- Technical Background. Types of video. Advantages and disadvantages.
Digitizing video. Digital compression techniques.
- Proprietary Digital Video Systems. Digicipher. DirecTV. Other
- Videoconferencing Systems Overview.
- MPEG1 Digital Video. Why it was developed. Technical description.
Operation and Transmission.
- MPEG2 Digital Video. Why it was developed. Technical description.
Operation and Transmission. 4:2:0 vs 4:2:2 profile. MPEG profiles and
- DVB Enhancements to MPEG2. What DVB does and why it does it.
DVB standards review. What DVB-S2 will accomplish and how.
- DTV (or ATSC) use of MPEG2. How DTV uses MPEG2. DTV
- MPEG4 Advanced Simple Profile. Why it was developed. Technical
description. Operation and Transmission.
- New Compression Systems. MPEG-4-10 or H.26L. Windows Media 9. How is different. How improved. Transcoding from MPEG 2 to MPEG 4. JPEG 2000.
- Systems in use today: DBS systems (e.g. DirecTV, Echostar) and
DARS systems (XM Radio, Sirius).
- Encryption and Conditional Access Systems. Types of conditional
access / encryption systems. Relationship to subscriber management
systems. Key distribution methods. Smart cards.
- Digital Video Transmission. Over fiber optic cables or microwaves. Over
the Internet – IP video. Over satellites. Private networks vs. public.
- Delivery to the Home. Comparing and contrasting terrestrial
broadcasting, satellite (DBS), cable and others.
- Production - Pre to Post. Production formats. Digital editing. Graphics.
Computer Animations. Character generation. Virtual sets, ads and actors.
Video transitions and effects.
- Origination Facilities. Playback control and automation. Switching and
routing and redundancy. System-wide timing and synchronization.
Trafficking ads and interstitials. Monitoring and control.
- Storage Systems. Servers vs. physical media. Caching vs. archival.
Central vs. distributed storage.
- Digital Manipulation. Digital Insertion. Bit Stream Splicing. Statistical
- Asset Management. What is metadata. Digital rights management.
- Digital Copying. What the technology allows. What the law allows.
- Video Associated Systems. Audio systems and methods. Data
encapsulation systems and methods. Dolby digital audio systems handling in the broadcast center.
- Operational Considerations. Selecting the right systems. Encoders.
Receivers / decoders. Selecting the right encoding rate. Source video
processing. System compatibility issues.
This course is not on the current schedule of open enrollment courses. If you are interested in attending this or another course as open enrollment, please contact us at (410) 956-8805 or at email@example.com and indicate the course name and number of students who wish to participate. ATI typically schedules open enrollment courses with a lead time of 3-5 months. Group courses can be presented at your facility at any time. For on-site pricing, request an on-site quote. You may also call us at (410) 956-8805 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.