ATI's Digital Video Systems, Broadcast
and Operations course
- Technical Background. Types of video. Advantages and disadvantages.
Digitizing video. Digital compression techniques.
- Proprietary Digital Video Systems. Digicipher. DirecTV. Other
- Videoconferencing Systems Overview.
- MPEG1 Digital Video. Why it was developed. Technical description.
Operation and Transmission.
- MPEG2 Digital Video. Why it was developed. Technical description.
Operation and Transmission. 4:2:0 vs 4:2:2 profile. MPEG profiles and
- DVB Enhancements to MPEG2. What DVB does and why it does it.
DVB standards review. What DVB-S2 will accomplish and how.
- DTV (or ATSC) use of MPEG2. How DTV uses MPEG2. DTV
- MPEG4 Advanced Simple Profile. Why it was developed. Technical
description. Operation and Transmission.
- New Compression Systems. MPEG-4-10 or H.26L. Windows Media 9. How is different. How improved. Transcoding from MPEG 2 to MPEG 4. JPEG 2000.
- Systems in use today: DBS systems (e.g. DirecTV, Echostar) and
DARS systems (XM Radio, Sirius).
- Encryption and Conditional Access Systems. Types of conditional
access / encryption systems. Relationship to subscriber management
systems. Key distribution methods. Smart cards.
- Digital Video Transmission. Over fiber optic cables or microwaves. Over
the Internet – IP video. Over satellites. Private networks vs. public.
- Delivery to the Home. Comparing and contrasting terrestrial
broadcasting, satellite (DBS), cable and others.
- Production - Pre to Post. Production formats. Digital editing. Graphics.
Computer Animations. Character generation. Virtual sets, ads and actors.
Video transitions and effects.
- Origination Facilities. Playback control and automation. Switching and
routing and redundancy. System-wide timing and synchronization.
Trafficking ads and interstitials. Monitoring and control.
- Storage Systems. Servers vs. physical media. Caching vs. archival.
Central vs. distributed storage.
- Digital Manipulation. Digital Insertion. Bit Stream Splicing. Statistical
- Asset Management. What is metadata. Digital rights management.
- Digital Copying. What the technology allows. What the law allows.
- Video Associated Systems. Audio systems and methods. Data
encapsulation systems and methods. Dolby digital audio systems handling in the broadcast center.
- Operational Considerations. Selecting the right systems. Encoders.
Receivers / decoders. Selecting the right encoding rate. Source video
processing. System compatibility issues.
Tuition for this four-day course is $1990 per person at one of our scheduled public courses. Onsite pricing is available. Please call us at 410-956-8805 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.