ATI's Advanced Topics in Launch Vehicle Design course
—Analysis and Optimization
- The current state of Rocket Science. Objective and metrics of optimization.
Need for improvement in optimization.
- Advanced Topics of Mass Properties, Scaling Issues and High-Tech Materials.
Essential parameters of analysis. Theory of mass properties. Accurate mass
properties as starting point and critical parameter.
- Advanced Topics in Propellant Volume Theory. The theory that propellant
volume is the most significant mass driver of launch vehicle design. Bulk density
of propellants in the "rocket equation."
- Advanced Topics in Stage Mass Properties. Separating engine mass properties
from stage mass properties. Volume theory and propellant bulk density. Stages
without engines. Implications of propellant volume scale, bulk density, and
physical properties. Advanced modeling algorithms for top-down analysis.
- Advanced Topics in Engine Mass Properties. Selected rocket engines ranked for
thrust-to-weight ratio to hypothesize engine mass property relationships to
specific impulse, engine cycle, cryogenic nature and bulk density of propellants,
and engine design era.
- Advanced Topics in ELV Stage Mass Properties. Expendable Launch Vehicle
(ELV) theory. Simplification theory. Big Dumb Booster concept. Evaluation of
mass suboptimization. Solid and hybrid propulsion.
- Advanced Topics in RLV Mass Properties. Popular RLV theory. Fatal flaws.
Classification of RLV systems. Theory for mass relationships to convenience of
recovery. RLV and ELV alternatives.
- Current and Advanced Topics in Cost Model Theory. Modern cost models as
science. Use and abuse of cost analysis. Cost Models as self-fulfilling prophecies.
- Current Topics in Performance Model Theory. Utility and value of current
performance modeling. Problems with the models. Simplifying assumptions as an
introduction to optimization searches.
- Advanced Topics in Optimization and Modeling Theory. Virtual development
exploration. Relationships and algorithms for advanced optimization by computer
- Staging Optimization Theory and Practical Procedure. Current procedures
and theories. Using computer programs. Determining optimum staging.
- Learning Curve Theory and Advanced Optimization. Production and Launch
Operations. The relationship with Economies of Scale.
- Advanced Topics in Engine Cluster Reliability Theory. Modeling to optimize
the number of engines/stage. Learning curve effects. Life Cycle costs and
DDT&E Cost implications. The Russian paradigm of engine clusters. NASA
employment of moderate engine clusters.
- Advanced Reliability Design & Analysis Integration for Launch Vehicles. The
reliability of rocket systems, particularly engine clusters. The optimization of
engine numbers as a function of Catastrophic Fraction to achieve maximum
- Advanced Integration of Safety into Launch Vehicle Design and Analysis.
Integrating safety into optimization, with identifiable common denominators. The
relationships between safety and cost.
- Integrated Modeling. Specialty models to an integrated, high-fidelity, multidiscipline,
comprehensive model. Advancing from analysis to gaming to analyze
the reacting strategies of competitors.
- Deterministic Optimization. Sweep optimization. Sample computer programs.
Applications and requirements for sweep modeling. Determining the optimum
payload scale for an RLV Point Design.
- Advanced Topics in Strategy in the Optimization Process. The use of strategy
to achieve superior results with inferior optimization. Clean sheet vs. existing
building blocks. The strategy of evolution. Modularity as a strategy. Alternate
strategies. Alternatives that reduce the costs of DDT&E, Production and
Operations. Inferred relationships.
For dedicated on-site pricing and availability request information HERE.