ATI's Fundamentals of COTS-Based Systems Engineering
Leveraging Commercial Off-the-Shelf Technology for System Success
COTS Influences on Requirements Development. Tailored and new approaches to requirements. Stakeholder requirements and measures of effectiveness (MOEs). System Requirements and measures of performance (MOPs). Flow down of requirements to COTS components.
COTS Influences on Architecture and Design. Architecting principles. Make vs. buy decisions. Architectural and design strategies for CBSE. Supporting the inherent independence of the leveraged COTS components. Dealing with the unique interdependencies of overlapping COTS and system lifecycles. Support for ongoing change and evolution of the COTS components. Architectural frameworks. Technical performance measures (TPMs). Readiness levels. Modeling and simulation.
COTS Life Cycle Considerations. Reliability, Maintainability, Availability (RMA). Supportability/Logistics, Usability/Human Factors. Training. System Safety. Security/Survivability. Producibility/ Manufacturability. Affordability. Disposability/Sustainability. Changeability (flexibility, adaptability, scalability, modifiability, variability, robustness, modularity). Commonality.
COTS Influences on Integration and V&V. Integration, verification, and validation approaches in a COTS environment. Strategies for dealing with the dynamic and independent nature of the COTS components. Evolutionary and incremental integration, verification, and validation. Acceptance of COTS components.
COTS Influences on Technical Management. Planning, monitoring, and control. Risk and decision management, Configuration and information management. Supplier identification and selection. Supplier agreements. Supplier oversight and control. Supplier technical reviews. COTS Integrator role.
This three day course provides a systemic overview of how to use Systems Engineering to plan, manage, and execute projects that have significant Commercial-off-the-Shelf (COTS) content. Modern development programs are increasingly characterized by COTS solutions (both hardware and software) in both the military and commercial domains.
This course focuses on the fundamentals of planning, execution, and follow-through that allow for the delivery of excellent and effective COTS-based systems to ensure the needs of all external and internal stakeholders are met. Participants will learn the necessary adjustments to the fundamental principles of Systems Engineering when dealing with COTS technologies. Numerous examples of COTS systems are presented. Practical information and tools are provided that will help the participants deal with issues that inevitably occur in the real word. Extensive in-class exercises are used to stimulate application of the course material.
Each student will receive a complete set of lecture notes and an annotated bibliography.
What You Will Learn:
- The key characteristics of COTS components.
- How to effectively plan and manage a COTS development effort.
- How using COTS affects your requirements and design.
- How to effectively integrate COTS into your systems.
- Effective verification and validation of COTS-based systems.
- How to manage your COTS suppliers.
- The latest lessons learned from over two decades of COTS developments.
Who Should Attend:
- Prime and subcontractor engineers who procure COTS components.
- Suppliers who produce and supply COTS components (hardware and software).
- Technical team leaders whose responsibilities include COTS technologies.
- Program and engineering managers that oversee COTS development efforts.
- Government regulators, administrators, and sponsors of COTS procurement efforts.
- Military professionals who work with COTS-based systems.
- COTS Concepts and Principles. Key COTS concepts. COTS-Based Systems Engineering (CBSE). Complexity inherent in COTS-based solutions. CBSE compared and contrasted with Traditional Systems Engineering (TSE). Key challenges and expected benefits of CBSE. COTS lessons learned.
Tuition for this three day course is $1790 per person at one of our scheduled public courses. Onsite pricing is available. Please call us at 410-956-8805 or send an email to ATI@ATIcourses.com.
Register Now Without Obligation